The school was founded in 1895 and provided the first secondary education within the Borough of Southend-on-Sea. It moved to its present spacious site on Prittlewell Chase in 1939.
Southend High School for Boys is an Academy Grammar School. Entry is dependent upon performance in selective tests set by the Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex (CSSE).
In 2001 the school became a Language College, promoting modern foreign languages both inside and outside the curriculum as well as within the local community. It was a founder member of Southend Excellence Cluster, supporting and collaborating with nearly thirty primary and secondary schools. In 2006, as a high-performing specialist school, we were invited to become a Leading Edge school, promoting innovation in teaching and learning in liaison with partner schools.
The school continues to place a special emphasis on curriculum development and outreach, not least as a lead partner in Southend Education Trust working closely with more than fifty local schools.
Pupil numbers have been increasing over recent years and currently there are 1060 pupils on roll with 315 in the Sixth Form, including some girls.
The aims of the school simply put are:
The pursuit of academic excellence
Stress upon the personal and social development of the individual
The fostering of a positive set of values
Preparation of pupils for a responsible and enriching role within society.